Why Intermittent Fasting Is Such A Powerful Tool For Losing Weight
If you're struggling with your weight and looking for an easy-to-apply, effective tool for dropping inches, Intermittent fasting is perfect for you!
For those that read my blogs frequently or follow me on social media, you'll know I despise any "get-ripped-quick" plans
For a diet plan to be effective it has to be one that fits your lifestyle and is sustainable
Sustainability is the key remember. A diet isn't 6 weeks, it's a way of life
One tool for loosing weight that I'm totally behind is intermittent fasting (IF)
IF is a useful tool as it restricts the hours of "eating time" you have in one day
It's not some secret formula for getting lean, but with a bit of basic nutrition guidance and reducing the amount of time you're allowed to eat, it's a highly effective tool for dropping fat consistently and sustainably
What Is Intermittent Fasting?
"Intermittent fasting is an umbrella term for various eating diet plans that cycle between a period of fasting and non-fasting over a defined period" - Wikipedia
In other words, you can only eat at certain times of the day
How Does This Help You Lose Weight?
By only being allowed to eat at certain times of the day, you're much less likely to overeat. Instead of eating 3 times a day, you're now only eating twice
IF also works really well if you have a time of day that you tend to over indulge. A common one is evening time in front of the TV. It's common practice for exhausted parents to collapse on the sofa with crisps, chocolate or cheese (sound familiar?)
If you stick to the rules of intermittent fasting and sprinkle in a bit of will-power you'll find it a great tool for destroying aimless grazing
In short, IF will aid you reduce your daily calories which will lead to consistent fat loss
What Are The Windows You Can Eat?
I'd recommend sticking to 16 hours of fasting, followed by an 8 hour eating window
I'd also suggest fasting from dinner to lunch and simply skipping breakfast
But try not to overthink it. Remember the key is creating a sustainable diet plan and one that works for YOU
If you read this and you're a midwife who works night-shifts, that won't work for you
So find a window that suits your lifestyle and family
What Are The Other Benefits Of Intermittent Fasting?
1. It allows your digestive system to do absolutely nothing - Which is pretty uncommon on a normal diet plan. This is useful if you have a weak stomach or problems with your gut or colon
2. I've heard of multiple entrepreneurs and artists intermittently fast as they claim it helps them focus better and concentrate for longer
3. It reduces inflammation in the body. Inflammation is a key driver of all sorts of diseases. It will also help you stay alert and more comfortable if you bloat regularly too
4. When we fast, the body goes from "digesting" to "waste removal". In it's simplest form the body starts removing dysfunctional proteins that build up in the cells. This process may help reduces the chances of Alzheimer's, cancers and other diseases
5. It's so damn easy to stick to. All you need is a watch, patience and willpower
In 2016 a fellow PT started a charity calendar to raise money for a school in The Gambia. He wanted 12 sexy, oiled men for the cover of each month. Being Mr. July was a big deal so I needed to lean out
I decided all I was going to do was to reduce my eating window. First meal was around 11am and last was at 7pm (I think)
I was still training as normal 4-5 times a week, but this was the end result
Intermittent fasting is an amazing tool for stripping fat without you having to count calories or really pay too much attention towards your diet at all
It's a flexible tool that everyone can integrate into their lifestyle, plus it's sustainable. Which I'm all for!
If you're busy, you HATE the idea of counting calories or you just want a simple technique to drop some weight, Intermittent fasting is perfect for you!
Plus you can start tomorrow!
Thanks for reading,